Fast food chain KFC was ordered to pay $8.3 million to the family of an Australian girl, who was poisoned after eating a "Twister Wrap" from the restaurant.
In 2005, a then 7-year-old Monika Samaan, her brother and parents were left hospitalized after getting salmonella poisoning after eating chicken at a Sydney KFC.
After the news broke KFC, owned by Kentucky-based YUM! brand, denied being responsible for the family's illness and challenged her family during a 4-week trial.
A South-Wales judge ordered in favor of the family, saying KFC breached its duty of care to the girl, awarding them $8 million plus court costs.
After eating the meal the family suffered severe salmonella poisoning, but Monika's case was the worse, as she was in a coma for six months and is now wheelchair-bound.